Friday, January 22, 2010

Today we were lucky enough to get a in dept tour of Carnegie Hall with our guide being a graduate of O’Gorman High School from my hometown. He graduated before my mother ever taught there, but there was still a personal connection with all of us being from the Midwest. Our to was amazing, we were able to go all over the massive historical building. The main concert hall was like nothing I had ever seen before, it was all still original design and kept in its authentic state other than some twenty-first century sound equipment. The famous acoustics were nothing short of magical. On our tour we given access to every nook and cranny, most places we went none of the normal tours were allowed. After the tour we headed back to the apartment, but once we got there my mother, Jordan, and myself realized we were starving so we went to the historic White Horse Tavern that has been there since 1890. We had a great meal and afterwards went back to the apartment and once again I left as soon as I got there to go to Brooklyn with Haley and Jordan to fill one of Haley’s prescriptions at Target. Once we finally got there I realized how late it was and I needed to be in Harlem for a New York Cares project by 5:30. So I got on the train and made my way back to Manhattan and eventually uptown to Harlem. Tonight my New York Cares project was to read and do arts and crafts with kids for the ages of 7 to 10. The kid I got was less than cooperative to say the least, but I just think despite the fact he just did not feel like reading, he just wanted some one to talk to. So we talked about football and professional wrestling and many other things that he was interested in. By far though he was a big fan of pro wrestling like on T.V. and when I was in elementary school I followed enough pro wrestling because of my friends that I was able to keep up in the conversation with this young, but avid fan. After I finished the session I decided to walk down from 103rd street to 72nd street to catch the 1 train going downtown. It was a long walk to get there but nice to walk along side Central Park for 31 blocks. When I got home I realized I was beat and now I’m going to get a good nights sleep so I can have some energy tomorrow so I can keep up with the kids we are taking to a museum with New York Cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment