Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lots of Things To Do

Today I woke up today with a somewhat better sleep and a pep in my step. One of our main objectives of the day was to go on a site-seeing scavenger hunt that was spread over the entire city. Our assignment was to go to a list of tourist attractions and take pictures of the area to prove that we were there. We started the hunt at Washington Square Park and then walked up town to Union Square Park. After many pictures we made on to the subway to head up to Grand Central Station. After Grand Central we stopped at a playbook shop and picked up a couple scripts. As we walked out of the bookstore we saw a pizza place on the corner and decided to grab a bite to eat. After our stomachs were filled we made our way up to The Dakota where John Lennon was shot. From there we walked across the street to the imagine circle and that was the start of our Central Park adventure. When we finished our site-seeing scavenger we were scheduled to help hand out sandwiches to less fortunate at the Broadway Church of Christ. It was a eye opening experience and I left with a sense of fulfillment that I helped someone in need. The man that heads to passing out of sandwiches was very wonderful man named Tim. In the 30 minutes that I was able to interact with Tim I learned more social justice than I have ever learned in my entire life. I’m excited to spend more time with Tim to hear his story’s and theories on social justice. One of the Pastors at this church was a graduate of USF and was a very delightful man that we had dinner with after our activities at the church. At 8:30 we went to free concert at the Lincoln Center where an instrumental band called “Asphalt Orchestra” played. The end the night we ventured to Rockefeller Center to watch people ice skate. Yet another eventful day in bag and now it is time to get some rest for eyes and for my feet.

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate the fact that you recognized the social justice mission of Tim's life.

    This is a really thorough outline of the day. Thank you...you covered a lot of miles and milestones.

    ReplyDelete