Thursday, January 21, 2010

Today I went to a coffee shop in the east village to catch up on some of these blogs and have a little time to myself. The coffee shop was packed with student and businessmen, but the people working there found me a nice little spot where I could sit and write. After awhile I had to make my way back to the apartment to quickly eat and then make my way uptown to the Broadway Church of Christ to help with handing out sandwiches to the less fortunate. It was a good turn out today at he sandwich line, but the line moves quickly and things are rapped up pretty quick. After finishing with the sandwiches we went back to the apartment again to get ready for New York Cares activities that we all had to go to. Some of us had activities together, but like me others went to other things solo. Tonight I went to the Village Nursing Home to hang out and talk to people with Alzheimer’s and I was a blast. Since I was a little kid I have always for one reason or another visited nursing homes and I have always been good with talking to the elderly. I spent most of my time with a women named (for New York Cares polices I can’t disclose names so I making one up) Linda, she was in her late seventies and was in the early stages of Alzheimer’s. Linda was defiantly the sharpest out of the group and was very quick and witty. Linda was born in Europe and a slight Austrian accent witch I love talking to people with accents. To be honest Linda was kind of a dirty bird she would tell me thing such as that she had be married twice but “had many lovers”, things like this was what made her special because she had no filter talking to me. She was talking to me like she had knew me for years and that we were old friends so she could tell me anything. I had a great time talking with Linda and hearing her stories of her life in Europe and many other interesting things that had happened to her over her years. On side note I came to the conclusion that many of the people that volunteer in The New York Cares program are doing it not to only serve and help out, but to also meet other members kind of like a blind dating service. Anyways I had an amazing time talking with Linda and playing games with the rest of the elderly at the nursing home. Afterwards my mother and I went out to eat a very small, but good Mexican restaurant and we caught up on things. I need to get a good night sleep so I can get up early to go on tour of Carnagie Hall tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment